Sunday, July 13, 2008

Well, I actually feel pretty proud of myself for finishing, even though I have gone way past my four months. I went through a pretty busy period, and I think I was not only too busy to get back to Discover 2/0, I was also digesting and absorbing what I had learned so far. It really is a lot to cover, and there were moments when I felt completely bogged down, but I always knew I would come back to it and finish.

Of the 23 "things", I found many of them fascinating and useful. For example, I am now using Facebook, Flickr, and Del.icio.us regularly. I enjoyed others, such as blogging and podcasting, but I need to live with these for awhile to see how I might incorporate them into my life. There were others I just found weird, like Meebo and Twitter. I can't see how they would ever be useful or fun. But I will stay openminded, and anyway, at least now I know what they are.

I think this 23-thing exercise is very important for library workers. We really must stay abreast of developments in the information world if we are to be able to offer good customer service. Things are changing rapidly, and there is a tendency to get so caught up in the routines of life and work that we sometimes postpone exploring new things. This was a (almost) painless, fun way to push past our comfort level, expand our horizons, and develop our professional skills! Now if I just had that day off coming too...

No comments: