Thursday, May 1, 2008

Google Docs

I decided to make a spreadsheet using Google Docs that I could use to keep track of people I am inviting on a group trip. Since there are many possible group members, and they are all in various stages of "thinking about it", I am using the spreadsheet to remind myself of who I have asked, and whether they have committed to it, turned it down, or are still thinking about it. Here is a link to my spreadsheet:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pHiVj6K1f7aXapzjnCMpyBg

I had to create this link by copy and paste. I never could see how to publish it directly from Google into my blog. I did publish it onto the web for the whole world to see. It's a hypothetical trip, and it would not have been my choice to do it that way, but either I am very dense or the settings have changed without updating the Help information. I spent a fair amount of time fooling around with it, and finally decided to just get the job done and do it this way.

I actually did create a real spreadsheet on GoogleDocs for this exact purpose of maintaining a group list for a trip I am planning. I was going to publish that one to my blog, but in the month since I created it, it seems to have disappeared from GoogleDocs. Another shocker. I will probably go back and recreate it, but if they disappear like that, it hardly seems worth it.

This application seems to have potential, but I would definitely need to work with it more to feel comfortable with it!

No comments: